Saturday, August 20, 2011

Blanks

Writing a blog is a tricky balancing act, or at least it is when the blog is about what happens to you on a daily basis, and not about, say, cats.  Or knitting.  Or VIDEO GAMES!  (I had to.)

I say this because you have to take one of two approaches.  You can decide that you're going to be completely, 100% honest and truthful, chronicling the important stuff even when it has the potential to hurt you or the others involved in whatever happens.  Essentially, this makes you a reporter covering your own life; if you want to think of it in a less broad way, it's like writing a diary and then posting it up for the world to see (or whatever miniscule section of the world actually cares what you have to say, anyway).  This probably makes for better reading, and it's probably extremely cathartic, but you'd have to have an immensely thick skin to pull it off successfully.  And really, what would "successfully" even mean in this context?  More readers?  Less angst?  NOT alienating your entire social circle?  I don't know.

The other approach involves a lot of self-editing, and being choosy about the information you reveal.  It's more moderate, certainly, and less ballsy; it's probably got a greater tendency to be boring, too.  It's safer.  I don't think that's a bad thing, but voyeuristic readers might (not that I'm calling anyone reading this voyeuristic... although why else would you read a personal blog, anyway?).  Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that big stuff happened yesterday, and then I cried a lot and then I ate a lot of pizza.  You'll just have to fill in the blanks for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment